Lexus IS Forum banner

Portable GPS fitted into 04-05 center pocket?

5K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  bleego 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I am in the market for a portable GPS unit. I looked into retrofitting a GPS unit in a factory housing GPS in my non navi IS. It seems not cost effective to me as the factory housing is going to run me about $400 on the forums + the GPS. I was wondering if anyone just bought a GPS unit and put it in to the center pocket where the factory GPS goes for you 04-05 IS models. I am wondering which ones will fit snug and when I open the pocket, the GPS will look flush in there. I will probably hardwire the power as well. If you has some, pics would also help me out.

My other option, would be to just buy a couple and see which one fits best, which I really don't want to buy and return.

Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
I haven't tried it (yet), but in my research I read that the 7" models fit best. I was looking at a 7" Magellan (sp?) at Fry's the other day and it looked about the correct size, but I want a Garmin.

The way I think I will attach it when I try it is somehow attach the GPS to the door of the dash compartment with a hinge on the top of the unit. So I can then swing the gps back when I want to close the compartment, and swing it forward when I open the door and want to use the gps.

#3 ·
#6 · (Edited)
Since I'm considering something similar, I decided to run out to my car and measure. I think that the width will be the issue with 7" GPS's. It looks like the Garmin and Magellan 7" units I could google up were about 7.5 Inches wide, The open part of the compartment was about 6 3/4 - 3 1/4. You could squeeze about 7" wide before you hit the Hinges if you start cutting into the interior of the cubby hole.

I think it might be doable if you hack your GPS a bit and see if things can be moved, or if removing the plastic housing of the GPS would be enough to get you the space that you need.

I am looking to do something similar to an 04 using this: 7 inch 1280×800 capacitive multi-touch LCD | Chalkboard Electronics hooked up to an Android Tablet. But I won't actually know if the system I am thinking up will even work until they start shipping the things.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.