HID headlights going off and on (new battery) - my.IS - Lexus IS Forum
Welcome to the newly redesigned my.IS website - Your source for IS200, IS250, IS300, IS350 and IS-F Information.

b

Register | Home | Forums | News | Photos | Content | FAQ | Advertise | Store

Go Back   my.IS - Lexus IS Forum > 1st-Gen IS300 > Mobiletronics
Register Home Forum Photos Active Topics / Realtime Garage iTrader User's Guide Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

My.is is the premier Lexus IS Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2011, 03:56 PM   #1 (permalink)

djrighthooks is an unknown at this point
HID headlights going off and on (new battery)

hey whats up guys i was wondering if anyone can help me? my HID headlights keep going on and off while the car is on. One will go off then i can turn the lights off and on again and the lights will pop back on SOMETIMES? i measured it with meter when i bought the new battery, it fluctuates between 13.4 and 13.7. Im wondering if it is my alternator going out or what. im about to pull the alternator out and have it tested, its the only thing i can think of that would make this happen the HID lights are new, but im no mechanic,ha! If anyone can give me an opinion that would be greatly apreciated, THANKS!
djrighthooks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2011, 04:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
Immortal

my.IS Supporter
jasonm4 is an elite community memberjasonm4 is an elite community memberjasonm4 is an elite community memberjasonm4 is an elite community memberjasonm4 is an elite community memberjasonm4 is an elite community memberjasonm4 is an elite community memberjasonm4 is an elite community memberjasonm4 is an elite community memberjasonm4 is an elite community memberjasonm4 is an elite community member
No, your alternator is perfectly fine. FSM states the alternator needs to put out 13.2-14.8vdc, and fluctuating between 13.4 and 13.7 is good. If anything, your battery may be aittle low on a charge(should be 12.6vdc or more after the car has been off over 8 hours). It may also be alittle low from sitting on the shelf. I just put a brand new 800CA Optima battery in my car which reads 13.0 volts car off, but when my car is running and there is a decent load on the car(headlights, fogs, a/c blower), my voltage is 14.2 volts when the engine is cold, but then drops to 13.5 when the car reaches operating temperature. I think your headlight issue is irrelavent to the headlights going on/off. It sounds like the bulbs are at the end of their lifespan. that's what usually happens, they turn off and may turn back on when the power is cycled. In most cases, a badballast will never even ignite the bulb. I would try swapping the bulbs with each other to see how they react, but it really does sound like they are ontheir way out. for future reference, here's a DIY for the charging system i made awhile ago which may help you because there are a few tests you can do before having it bench tested. BTW, i would stick to a good bulb replacement brand like sylvania, philips, ospram, etc.

DIY:CHARGING SYSTEM FULL DIAGNOSTIC(alternator/battery)
Old 07-16-2011, 04:44 PM   #3 (permalink)

hey thanks alot jason so i should try new lamps huh? i hope that is the case i thought once lamps go out they go out i didnt know they slowly go out like that, well thats alot better than dropping the alternator. ill try this any links to lights that are good?
Old 07-16-2011, 05:15 PM   #4 (permalink)
Immortal

my.IS Supporter
jasonm4 is an elite community memberjasonm4 is an elite community memberjasonm4 is an elite community memberjasonm4 is an elite community memberjasonm4 is an elite community memberjasonm4 is an elite community memberjasonm4 is an elite community memberjasonm4 is an elite community memberjasonm4 is an elite community memberjasonm4 is an elite community memberjasonm4 is an elite community member
Yea, when they start to go bad sometimes they turn a bit purple when trying to ignite and then they go off and power needs cycled. You can get em off eBay, just make sure its a reputable seller. My buddy's gotten bulbs from autoillumination.com and xenonsupply.com with good results. I would highly doubt both of your ballasts are going bad. Those OEM Denso ballasts are the best IMO. You may also want to check our vendors section for good pricing. Remember not to touch the new bulbs with your bare hands, the oils on your skin can reduce their lifespan. Good luck.
Old 07-17-2011, 01:58 PM   #5 (permalink)
Enthusiast

deesz is an elite community memberdeesz is an elite community memberdeesz is an elite community memberdeesz is an elite community memberdeesz is an elite community memberdeesz is an elite community memberdeesz is an elite community memberdeesz is an elite community memberdeesz is an elite community memberdeesz is an elite community memberdeesz is an elite community member
if it didnt do it before changing the battery I would start there make sure all the connections are solid.. and then from there you might want to make sure the relay is good. other wise like said before could be your lights. what year is your car and have you changed out the lights before?
deesz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 08-06-2011, 12:04 AM   #6 (permalink)

FUDGE! put in new hid h7 lamps and they are still going out? Do you think its a relay or what? i bought new battery new lamps and they still go out either one at any given time. all the wires are new and great shape. could it be the ballasts one of these dudes at the shop tried to sell me on some ballasts but im just not sure if there bad? what to do ANY HELP WOULD RULE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-06-2011, 07:28 AM   #7 (permalink)
Immortal

my.IS Supporter
Did you ever try swapping the bulbs with each other and they still would shut off? The only other thing it can be is a lack of power to the ballasts or the ballasts themselves. I would get a voltmeter and verify you are getting full battery/alternator voltage to the headlights when the car is running. If you read alittle low then you may have a faulty headlamp relay. If the battery voltage is good and there is still issues, then its the ballasts or connections to them/bulb.
Old 08-06-2011, 12:17 PM   #8 (permalink)

the battery is brand new and so are the lamps i put in yesterday. the relay looks fine, but i dont know what it would look like if it was broke? it does click pretty loud when i turn on the lights though? so ballasts or relay huh? my alternator is good im sure
Old 08-06-2011, 02:16 PM   #9 (permalink)
Immortal

my.IS Supporter
The clicking of the relay means the coil is good but the contacts need to be tested with a meter for it to definitely be good. I would verify the connections as well.
Old 08-06-2011, 05:18 PM   #10 (permalink)

so meter the relay? is that a retarted question im sorry. should i buy new ballasts. i just dont want to take it to a shop and get raped$

Thanks Guys!
Old 08-06-2011, 06:35 PM   #11 (permalink)
Immortal

my.IS Supporter
Well yea, the way to test them is with a voltmeter , energize it, and check for continuity. Or swap it out. I've stuck a needle in the socket to check for voltage before. Obviously if they go out you want to check for voltage feed to make sure.
Old 08-07-2011, 12:15 PM   #12 (permalink)
Lurker

Apostle is an elite community memberApostle is an elite community memberApostle is an elite community memberApostle is an elite community memberApostle is an elite community memberApostle is an elite community memberApostle is an elite community memberApostle is an elite community memberApostle is an elite community memberApostle is an elite community memberApostle is an elite community member
sounds like its the ballasts
Apostle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 08-07-2011, 12:21 PM   #13 (permalink)
Immortal

my.IS Supporter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apostle View Post
sounds like its the ballasts
Throwing parts at it is not good approach especially when the OEM Denso ballasts are probably good. Sounds like a voltage, connection, bulb problem IMO.
Old 08-08-2011, 09:40 PM   #14 (permalink)

im gonna buy a new relay, cuz i already installed new battery and new lamps, everything is solid the after market headlights are like 6 months old, the wiring seems perfect, im hoping its the relay

Last edited by djrighthooks; 08-08-2011 at 10:47 PM.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:21 AM   #15 (permalink)
Enthusiast

deesz is an elite community memberdeesz is an elite community memberdeesz is an elite community memberdeesz is an elite community memberdeesz is an elite community memberdeesz is an elite community memberdeesz is an elite community memberdeesz is an elite community memberdeesz is an elite community memberdeesz is an elite community memberdeesz is an elite community member
When you say aftrmarket headlights and wiring is ok. What do you mean?
deesz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

my.IS - Lexus IS Forum > 1st-Gen IS300 > Mobiletronics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the my.IS - Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)