2001 IS Metra TYTO-01 harness how to! - my.IS - Lexus IS Forum
Welcome to the newly redesigned my.IS website - Your source for IS200, IS250, IS300, IS350 and IS-F Information.

b

Register | Home | Forums | News | Photos | Content | FAQ | Advertise | Store

Go Back   my.IS - Lexus IS Forum > 1st-Gen IS300 > Mobiletronics
Register Home Forum Photos Active Topics / Realtime Garage iTrader User's Guide Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

My.is is the premier Lexus IS Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2007, 07:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
Extremist

mrmonster is an elite community membermrmonster is an elite community membermrmonster is an elite community membermrmonster is an elite community membermrmonster is an elite community membermrmonster is an elite community membermrmonster is an elite community membermrmonster is an elite community membermrmonster is an elite community membermrmonster is an elite community membermrmonster is an elite community member
2001 IS Metra TYTO-01 harness how to!

Are you a 2001 IS300 owner who was looking forward to using the Metra TYTO-01 harness to hookup your nice aftermarket head unit, then discovered itís only compatible with 2002+? Well, have no fear, the 2001 IS Metra harness mod is here!

I wonít get into how to take the dash apart and take out the stock deck, or how to hook up the Metra harness to your deck as those have been covered before. This is strictly a í01 mod how-to, lets get started.

The reason that the Metra harness only works with í02+ is that the wiring which plugs into the stock deck is a little different between í01 and Ď02+. 2001 uses two plugs and Ď02+ combines the wiring into a single plug, so we simply need reroute the wires around to make it all work. The extra plug on í01 only has two wires so itís a pretty simple and quick task.

Picture below shows the two plugs that go into the stock í01 deck, on a Ď02+ there is no (B) plug and instead those two wires are located on plug (A).

Picture below shows what wire from plug (B) we want to move where on plug (A) .

To make things easier later, somehow mark the wire thatís at pin 10 of plug (B), itís the red/blue wire. I used a piece of masking tape.

Now we need to take the wires out, itís very simple to take out the pins from the plug without destroying it. All you need is a very small flat-head screwdriver which you slide under the pin, this will release a little tab that holds it in. Once the tab is released, simply push the end of the pin with something and it will slide right out. Remove both pins from plug (B), picture below shows how to do it.

At this point plug (B) no longer exists and you should be left with two stand alone wires, picture below.

I was hoping I could just insert those new wires into plug (A) but turns out the sizes donít match and they wonít fit, a little more work is needed.

From this point there are couple options on how to proceed, you could modify the pins to make them fit into the stock plug (A) or hook it up directly to the Metra harness. I decided to go with the latter since I wanted a setup thatís easily reversible.

Note: Iím assuming that all Metra harnesses use the same wire coloring, if not, pink wire refers to pin 5 and blue/pink refers to pin 15.

First thing lets mark one of the wires we are taking out to make it easier later, mark the pink wire on the Metra harness, again I used masking tape.

Lets take the Metra harness socket apart to get the wires we need, you could just cut them or tap them but I wanted a cleaner setup. To take the socket apart you need to push in a tab on each side of the socket and then push back the plastic frame which holds the wires in. This will let you get the wires out along with the pins without destroying them. Picture below.

Take out the pink wire you marked earlier and blue/pink wire also. Careful not to rip the wires from the pins, you need to push the pin up a little and pull the wire back to get it out in one piece. Put the socket back together by push the plastic frame back into the socket. Picture below shows the wires out.

We are almost done, all is left is to connect the wires you took out from plug (B) and from the Metra harness. The wires are very easy to connect, the pin from Metra wire slides right into the pin from plug (B). I used heat shrink to secure the connection, you could use electricians tape or solder them together.

Now what goes where, you are connecting together the two wires you marked earlier, remember, and then connect the two wires that are left. (Pink wire goes with red/blue wire, blue/pink goes with red/white.)
Pictures below show the final connection.

Complete setup

Thatís it, now hook up your aftermarket deck and enjoy music in your 2001 IS300

Last edited by mrmonster; 09-16-2007 at 01:49 PM. Reason: Error in harness name corrected
mrmonster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2007, 10:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
Altruist

Ashhong is an elite community memberAshhong is an elite community memberAshhong is an elite community memberAshhong is an elite community memberAshhong is an elite community memberAshhong is an elite community memberAshhong is an elite community memberAshhong is an elite community memberAshhong is an elite community memberAshhong is an elite community memberAshhong is an elite community member
nice! good to see that someone took the time to figure out how to do this. +rep for you

AAC | AEM | Alpine | GReddy | JDM | JIC | JL | Philips | Pioneer | SportDesign | Tanabe

Sale Items For Audio Newbies!
http://my.is/forums/f99/fs-useful-au...6/#post4953185
Ashhong is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 08-19-2007, 11:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lurker

JoeG is an unknown at this point
This post should be elevated as one of the audio stickys... Nice work!
JoeG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 08-19-2007, 11:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lurker

phushila is an elite community memberphushila is an elite community memberphushila is an elite community memberphushila is an elite community memberphushila is an elite community memberphushila is an elite community memberphushila is an elite community memberphushila is an elite community memberphushila is an elite community memberphushila is an elite community memberphushila is an elite community member
+ rep!!

I had mentioned something similar in a previous metra harness post i figured i did the wiring wrong cuz i was getting no sound, turns out that it was a faulty unit.
phushila is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 08-20-2007, 12:26 AM   #5 (permalink)
Enthusiast

endleesss is an elite community memberendleesss is an elite community memberendleesss is an elite community memberendleesss is an elite community memberendleesss is an elite community memberendleesss is an elite community memberendleesss is an elite community memberendleesss is an elite community memberendleesss is an elite community memberendleesss is an elite community memberendleesss is an elite community member
Give me some credit for helping hahah
Nice job man +rep
endleesss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 08-20-2007, 08:19 AM   #6 (permalink)
Enthusiast

btorok is an elite community memberbtorok is an elite community memberbtorok is an elite community memberbtorok is an elite community memberbtorok is an elite community memberbtorok is an elite community memberbtorok is an elite community memberbtorok is an elite community memberbtorok is an elite community memberbtorok is an elite community memberbtorok is an elite community member
Nice write up +Rep
2004 IIP IS300 /// E-Shift Auto / NAV / LSD / 18" Katana ZR5's/ KNN FIPK2 / Tanabe Medallion Series Cat-back / Swift Springs / Tint / JL Audio / D&XSR / painted calipers / clear side markers / and a couple stickers...
btorok is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 08-20-2007, 08:21 AM   #7 (permalink)
Maverick

my.IS Supporter
Mikster is an elite community memberMikster is an elite community memberMikster is an elite community memberMikster is an elite community memberMikster is an elite community memberMikster is an elite community memberMikster is an elite community memberMikster is an elite community memberMikster is an elite community memberMikster is an elite community memberMikster is an elite community member
Awesome...hard work does pay off.
+rep for you.

M
Mikster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 08-20-2007, 08:24 AM   #8 (permalink)
Extremist

mrmonster is an elite community membermrmonster is an elite community membermrmonster is an elite community membermrmonster is an elite community membermrmonster is an elite community membermrmonster is an elite community membermrmonster is an elite community membermrmonster is an elite community membermrmonster is an elite community membermrmonster is an elite community membermrmonster is an elite community member
Quote:
Originally Posted by endleesss View Post
Give me some credit for helping hahah
Nice job man +rep
Hehe ya I guess a little credit should go to you and Ashhong for our little brainstorming session the other night
mrmonster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 08-20-2007, 11:53 AM   #9 (permalink)
Useless

lisnup65 is an elite community memberlisnup65 is an elite community memberlisnup65 is an elite community memberlisnup65 is an elite community memberlisnup65 is an elite community memberlisnup65 is an elite community memberlisnup65 is an elite community memberlisnup65 is an elite community memberlisnup65 is an elite community memberlisnup65 is an elite community memberlisnup65 is an elite community member
Awesome!! Plus Rep and a move to the sticky section when I get a second.
Old 08-20-2007, 07:57 PM   #10 (permalink)
Altruist

2005 ToyDrive Participant 2006 ToyDrive Participant
Split2nd is an elite community memberSplit2nd is an elite community memberSplit2nd is an elite community memberSplit2nd is an elite community memberSplit2nd is an elite community memberSplit2nd is an elite community memberSplit2nd is an elite community memberSplit2nd is an elite community memberSplit2nd is an elite community memberSplit2nd is an elite community memberSplit2nd is an elite community member
Great info buddy!!!!!!!!!! + rep to ya!!!

2001 Lexus IS300
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
2012 Dodge Durango Citadel
Split2nd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 08-20-2007, 08:09 PM   #11 (permalink)
Deity

Chigger is an elite community memberChigger is an elite community memberChigger is an elite community memberChigger is an elite community memberChigger is an elite community memberChigger is an elite community memberChigger is an elite community memberChigger is an elite community memberChigger is an elite community memberChigger is an elite community memberChigger is an elite community member
Now you post this!! Haha, I took my time and bypassed the stock amp
Chigger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 08-20-2007, 09:44 PM   #12 (permalink)
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chigger View Post
Now you post this!! Haha, I took my time and bypassed the stock amp
Now there's a couple of options for the IS300 2001 owner -- spend the money for the metra harness or on a pair of 6x9's for the rear. Both options have their advantages.
Old 08-21-2007, 12:27 AM   #13 (permalink)
Aficionado

hotcracker69 hotcracker69 hotcracker69 hotcracker69 hotcracker69 hotcracker69 hotcracker69 hotcracker69 hotcracker69 hotcracker69 hotcracker69
taking out the seat for a pair of speakers is a pain the ass!
hotcracker69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 08-21-2007, 06:20 PM   #14 (permalink)
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotcracker69 View Post
taking out the seat for a pair of speakers is a pain the ass!
It wasn't that bad -- all I had to do was look at my installer do it
Old 09-12-2007, 09:18 AM   #15 (permalink)

plai74 is an unknown at this point
Sorry to dig up an old thread...

but what happen to the black box and the RCA type connectors from the Metra harness? Are those needed for the installation?
plai74 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

my.IS - Lexus IS Forum > 1st-Gen IS300 > Mobiletronics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the my.IS - Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Current users viewing this Thread: 2 (0 members and 2 guests)