Cherisher

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)

blkdout's SportCross

This got delivered 5 days before the estimated appointment:

The Good:

LSD!
Interior is in great shape. All leather. Headliner is flawless.
Original glass all around.
Everything electronic seems to work. (May need a dash bulb or two.)
THE 6 DISC CHANGER WORKS!!!
No engine lights, everything mechanical seems okay.

The bad:

Body is beat up. Dents and scratches throughout.
Hood is rusted so bad at the latch area, I think it needs replaced. Considering swapping the sedan hood on and putting a carbon one on that car.
Hatch shocks need replaced soon.
Calipers are rusted, look terrible - Thankfully I have spares from the sedan.
Headlights are foggy - Have spare brand new ones I never put on the sedan.

A few things are on order and appointments are planned. I'll be putting the 18" stock-looking wheels on from the sedan... and that's all I'm telling for now.

I just have to try NOT to make a project out of this! Hopefully just maintenance and some minor aesthetics. Notice it's not in the build thread forum.

"There's nothing like waiting and getting exactly what you want."
-Hiral

Last edited by blkdout; 01-26-2017 at 07:52 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-26-2017, 05:45 PM
Guru

Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)

In for updates! I can't believe they are all black lol.... though tbh, if I had 3 cars, they'd all be blue... lol
blkdout likes this.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-26-2017, 06:36 PM
Enthusiast

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)

Congrats on your unicorn! Ive often wanted one of these as well. They pop up often on craigslist here in phoenix.
blkdout likes this.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-26-2017, 06:59 PM
Frequenter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)

nice find!
blkdout likes this.

2002 Black Onyx IS300 5-speed w/LSD: GTE VVTi, AEM Infinity, BW S363, R154
my instagram
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-26-2017, 08:34 PM Thread Starter
Cherisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by TobiasSing View Post
In for updates! I can't believe they are all black lol.... though tbh, if I had 3 cars, they'd all be blue... lol
haha well, I personally own only these two vehicles. The other I drive is a company owned white pickup. I was very interested in other colors including Green, Graphite, White and Silver but they all had tan interiors which I just cannot do. Essentially, I picked this one up based off the interior color and condition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VEHEMENCE View Post
Congrats on your unicorn! Ive often wanted one of these as well. They pop up often on craigslist here in phoenix.
I wish I bought one years ago. So many cool features compared to the sedan. If you find a good one, I highly recommend picking it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garrettej8 View Post
nice find!
Thank you sir! IMO it was cheap at 4,600 with a budget of 8k. I hope to get a lot accomplished based on those figures.

They won't be side by side often:

mm71522 and wavec4p like this.

-Hiral

Last edited by blkdout; 01-26-2017 at 08:39 PM.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-26-2017, 09:40 PM
Aficionado

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)

Nice pickup! I considered getting a sportcross as a daily. I used to hate how they looked but they've really grown on me over the years. They pop up for sale often in my area but sadly most of them are salvage title. Anyways looking forward to the maintenance and restoration
blkdout likes this.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 12:50 AM
Enthusiast

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)

Nice find.... definitely don't see those come up often anymore.

If I bought a second one, pretty sure it would end up with a V8 just so I had two completely different setups. Soooo.... I look forward to Blkdouts V8 sportcross build.... haha.
blkdout likes this.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 07:40 AM
Frequenter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)

Mark my words...even though I have only owned a SportX, you will love this one more and neglect the sedan.
blkdout likes this.

'04 MSM Sportcross, JoeZ intake w/ aFe dry filter, Cusco cooling plate & FSB-trunk bars
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 08:26 AM
Frequenter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Greetings from a fellow black/black sedan/sportcross owner Pay no attention to the ebay headlights and sidemarkers. That picture was taken the day I got the car home. A lot has changed since then.

Quote:
All of mine are black. I don't even consider non-black cars any more. A non-black car would look out of place with everything else
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130324_083840_008.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	375.2 KB
ID:	105945  
blkdout likes this.

16 RX450h F-Sport
13 MKZ hybrid
08 911 turbo cabriolet, Champion, Cobb, Fabspeed, FVD, 6MT
04 IS300 Sportcross, NA-T, 6262, AEM FIC
02 IS300 L-tuned, vvti 2jzgte, 67mm, EMU, R154
94 Supra 67mm, AEM, 6MT
93 MR2 gen3 3sgte, t3/t4, 264s, AEM, 5MT
02 Honda VFR800 6MT
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
Cherisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkaltezza View Post
Nice pickup! I considered getting a sportcross as a daily. I used to hate how they looked but they've really grown on me over the years. They pop up for sale often in my area but sadly most of them are salvage title. Anyways looking forward to the maintenance and restoration
I feel ya! Sometimes you just have to wait for the right one. I found a lot of nice ones over the years but let them all slip by. I didn't want to go another year without a backup.
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatthe View Post
Nice find.... definitely don't see those come up often anymore.

If I bought a second one, pretty sure it would end up with a V8 just so I had two completely different setups. Soooo.... I look forward to Blkdouts V8 sportcross build.... haha.
Bro, it's like our minds are working together on this already IF it boils down to it I'd like to drop in a V8 or Supercharge it - like 10psi or under. I'd say the V8 is more obtainable nowadays tho. That's one big IF - don't tempt me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GXElover View Post
Mark my words...even though I have only owned a SportX, you will love this one more and neglect the sedan.
I am absolutely loving it so far! Runs great, nice and smooth. I don't remember my sedan being this peppy and fun when it was stock! I don't know how much I can neglect the sedan tho... that thing is in a league of it's own!
Quote:
Originally Posted by vman932 View Post
Greetings from a fellow black/black sedan/sportcross owner Pay no attention to the ebay headlights and sidemarkers. That picture was taken the day I got the car home. A lot has changed since then.
Sick dude! We just became friends for sure! Your cars look great side by side

Rented a storage spot and put my sedan away while I fix up the wagon. It was actually a sad moment.

Started on some little things after a nice long test drive. About 15 miles in the check engine light came on and I couldn't help but laugh. I just looked at it and said "I knew you were going to show up!" with a big stupid smile.

Anyway, it's P0037. I'll just change both sensors and see what happens. I'm already anticipating the cats going bad and might pull the trigger on VEHEMENCE's Magnaflow header w/ cats.
edit: I just ohmed out both bank 1 sensors. The heater has failed in the #2 sensor reading OL. Should be between 11 and 16 ohms. Just FYI.

Replaced the front wipers. It looks like the rear one is a specific Lexus part. May have to order that one.
Replaced the cabin filter and cleaned the cage:

Replaced the engine air filter and removed the rusted air box lid clips:

Soaked them in some penetrating oil:

Sanded, primed, painted:

Sway Bars, Pro-Kit and Koni Yellows:

All my excitement ended abruptly. I ran a bunch of errands today and every time I came back home and parked, the garage smelled like gas. I assumed the cats were going bad but the smell never dissipated.

Looked under the car and found the source:
Gas everywhere! You can see it all over the floor too.

I jacked the car up on that corner and it stopped leaking. I could hear air getting sucked back up into the tank once the car was raised. I'm going to pull the panels, braces and tank strap tomorrow and see what I can find. So sad right now.
whatthe likes this.

-Hiral

Last edited by blkdout; 01-27-2017 at 08:55 PM.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-28-2017, 11:30 AM
Lurker

Quoted: 26 Post(s)

Nice ride man. It's in good hands looks like you've got some good plans for it already. Sucks about the fuel leak but glad you caught it before it before something happened.
blkdout likes this.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-28-2017, 01:25 PM
Guru

yeah, that setback sucks.... but you'll figure it out and get it all fixed up good as new and not have to worry about it
blkdout likes this.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-28-2017, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
Cherisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris OK View Post
Nice ride man. It's in good hands looks like you've got some good plans for it already. Sucks about the fuel leak but glad you caught it before it before something happened.
Quote:
yeah, that setback sucks.... but you'll figure it out and get it all fixed up good as new and not have to worry about it
Thanks guys... and thanks for your confidence in me

I like the way you think, Chris. You're right. It's just a setback... I have to keep that in mind. Can't blame the dealer and personally would have never noticed the leak on a test drive anyway!

Couldn't sleep and got to work on it early this morning:

Found the leak immediately. Thankfully not too many parts had to come off:

This stuff works great. I tried a fuel tank repair kit but that just doesn't work on the bottom of a tank where you're battling fuel still coming out:

I noticed my license lights were out. Didn't catch that on the initial inspection.
Have to remove the entire interior hatch panel:

Wiper arm was missing the end cap so ordered one along with the blade.
Don't have a wiper arm puller so I made one:

Pads, rotors, O2 sensor and fuel tank are on order. I'm biting the bullet and just having the dealer replace the tank.

Surprisingly some areas of the car are pristine while others remind me of how old the car is. Everything I'm getting into is either super easy, like working on a brand new car and others are just a PITA
whatthe likes this.

-Hiral
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-29-2017, 02:36 PM
Guru

Ah see, I knew you'd do it Are you able to drive the car with the hole patched? And the replacement tank is just in case? Sounds good though, yeah I'd do the same thing... brand new tank installed by a professional. Gas isn't something I need to be messing with lol
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-29-2017, 06:14 PM Thread Starter
Cherisher

Quote:
Ah see, I knew you'd do it Are you able to drive the car with the hole patched? And the replacement tank is just in case? Sounds good though, yeah I'd do the same thing... brand new tank installed by a professional. Gas isn't something I need to be messing with lol
Yessir, I put it all back together this morning after letting the sealant cure over night and ran some errands. No leaks! You nailed the rest of it. I don't want to take any chances with it so I'm just having it replaced. I drop it off tomorrow morning.

With that out of the way I was able to change the oil today and clean up some other misc parts of the car... also figure out some of the extra features the SportX has to offer.

Stay tuned for the fun stuff!

-Hiral
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > Owner's Forums > SportCross Owner's Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page