Lexus IS Forum - View Single Post - Do stiffer springs reduce/eliminate the need for sway bars?
View Single Post
post #11 of (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 03:40 PM
GKR_Nik

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TobiasSing View Post
Thanks for all of that Nik.

The shocks are adjustable, and are at 66% stiff (what it came at) though I could afford to go a little softer now that I don't have a lip kit and I raised the car height.

I do agree that the tires are my weak point here. I'm using Hankook Ventus V12, and I'm not particularly impressed. They're good, but not any better than my winters lol.

It's a good point that you say that having a front sway bar is a good balance, since it keeps the car more level than no sway bars, but allows both rear wheels on the ground better so the lack of LSD isn't as much a problem. I could certainly try disconnecting the rear and leaving the front.
You don't necessarily want to use the shocks to try to alleviate lowness problems. While yes, adding compression force can keep the car from compressing as far on quick bumps, it will have basically no affect when going in and out of driveways, etc. That's the spring's job, not the shock. Plus, almost all single adjuster shocks affect the rebound more than compression, so you can actually make it worse by dailing them up.

Yeah, the V12s are a good enough street tire, but they don't really match what it seems like you are going for with this car. I think a 200TW tire would fit your bill perfectly. There are some ridiculously good tires on the market now, like the Bridgestone RE71R and BFG Rival S (these have as much or more grip than the R-Compounds of yesteryear). Or, use a 200 that isn't crazy grippy and still be satisfied but have them last longer.

Just to be clear, using only a front bar won't create a good balance on its own. You will need to match your spring rates to it, which means you will have higher rear rates than you currently do. If you still have the stock rear bar, I highly suggest putting that back in and leaving the front as it is. On many cars, removing the rear bar outright just doesn't work right for dry traction. For rainy situations, remove away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ek9B18 View Post
Personally, I'd go full soft and then work my way back up if necessary. Too much damping makes the suspension less compliant too. I DD my car with the shocks set full soft. I don't crank them up will it's time for a track day and even then I seldom go full stuff.
True dat. There's nothing to lose by just trying it on full soft. If the car makes back and forth motions while in a turn, add a little bit back in.

Out of curiosity, what shocks are they?

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome