Lexus IS Forum banner

Need help swapped my blow engine

900 views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  shiftdrift06 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone.. So my engine previously had water damage from my intake sucking in water and water in my exhaust from a flooded road. I got my engine to start up a week after then drove it for maybe another 15k miles. The engine then got hole on the bottom of the block while i was driving on the highway. Anyways i bought a used engine from japan about 50k miles on it swapped it in car started up only code i have is P2138 Throttle Pedal Position Sensor/Switch 'D'/'E' Voltage Correlation. I'm basically in limp mode right now the throttle doesn't open all the way so i have to floor the gas peddle to go. i swaped out my old Throttle Pedal Position Sensor and replaced it with the one from the jdm engine and same thing. Do you think both of my sensors have a problem or i need a whole new TB? or maybe the ecu has to learn the new engine or throttle body properly?

#2 ·
Do you think both of my sensors have a problem or i need a whole new TB? or maybe the ecu has to learn the new engine or throttle body properly?
I think I'd verify the wiring for the throttle body. JDM engine with USDM ECU. It should be the same but I'd verify. This sounds like a wiring problem.

As for these "50K mile" engines. I'm kinda skeptical. They came of now 15 year old junked cars. They were junked for some reasons.

#3 ·
Agreed. Sounds like wiring or incompatible calibration. Instead of swapping the TPS I would have swapped the entire throttle body.

As for these "50K mile" engines. I'm kinda skeptical. They came of now 15 year old junked cars. They were junked for some reasons.
Japan imposes taxes on higher mileage engines so most people just pull them and sell them before the taxes kick in. Hence the vast market for imported 50~60k mile engines.

I tend to believe the mileage is accurate but also believe the engines were roasting some rubber before they were pulled out.

#4 ·
Japan imposes taxes on higher mileage engines so most people just pull them and sell them before the taxes kick in. Hence the vast market for imported 50~60k mile engines.
Certainly 10 years ago, you were getting 35-66K miles engines. That was a long time ago though. You figure most of the desirable engines went out of production 16 years ago, JDM engine sales have been going on a long time now so, at some point the pick'in's are going to get slim.

If I bought a "50K mile" JDM engine today. I'll pull it apart and check it before I just installed it. I actually suspect this engine might have a bad throttle body. I'd probably have swapped the entire USDM throttle body in first instead of swapping parts over. Particularly if the USDM TB was working before the engine blew.

#5 ·
I Swapped the entire throttle body from the usdm engine car has more power, my tp % is 14.9 checked on a OBDII. i still have CEL code p2138. car is not back to normal still in limp mode i guess but with a little more power. also bogging when shifting to drive/reverse I'm still going to have to get the wires checked out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.