Lexus IS Forum banner

2JZ-GTE Swap Manual

116K views 70 replies 42 participants last post by  01 SolarYellow 
#1 · (Edited)
Ok everyone, I hope that it isn't to late for something like this. I've spent a few hours compiling all this info from about EVERYONE's swap threads. If I happen to just receive bad criticism, well then I spent all this time compiling this for the sake of making my swap easier when I get back stateside. The file is about 26mb or so, and contains a lot of pictures. The hosted links are below for download in Microsoft Word and PDF.
J

!!!!LINKS FIXED!!!!
Microsoft Word version
IS300 2jz-gte Swap Manual.docx

PDF Version (Thank you to Tecknix for converting!)
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13956643/IS300 2jz-gte Swap Manual.pdf

#3 ·
haha- download, review then let me know if it helps

I sure hope it does. Makes sense to me anyway for my own.

#4 ·
Did you password lock this? Whats the password?

#5 ·
It should only be locked against editing, posted as a "read only file"- lemme check it out :/

#6 ·
The internet is extremely sh*tty here. Going to take an hour + to download my own file to see if it works lol. Its 0200 here. If it doesn't work tonight, I will fix it tomorrow afternoon.

#7 ·
Ok- I fixed the document this morning. BACK UP FOR DOWNLOAD!

#8 ·
Version 1 revision 1 is now up. - Added in price and part number for Aluminum driveshaft for R154 swap.

#10 ·
Microsoft word, or any program that will open a .doc file.

#11 ·
sweet upload but it still doesnt answer the question im having on what regulates boost. if the front wastegate is operating for both turbos and its just free flowing whats stopping it from over boosting? why cant you just toss a boost control on it and call it a day?

#13 ·
I had the same question as I was doing my swap and I've just come to notice that since I finished the car and have been driving it in all sorts of situations and conditions, boost never seems to go past 11lbs. I have however had one day of boost spikes up to 15lbs, but to my knowledge, that is still a safe number. I did come to realize that when I hit that spike, at the time my car was running super super rich, so I don't know if that had a lot to do with it or if I was just pushing the car too hard. Ever since I have fixed most of my mechanical issues, boost never peaks pass 11lbs which I read is stock levels for factory twins.

#12 ·
That would be a good question to ask the guys who went sequential doing the TTC mod on their swaps. I put the manual together just to show what to be done for the swap, plus Im going single so I didn't really dive into it too much.

However, from what I would say- you'd be right in your logic of it possibly over boosting. I haven't ever dealt with a stock Supra setup. All of them I've messed with have already been converted to singles. I know that on the ol DSM's there was a boost regulating solenoid that was controlled by the ECU to allow vaccum to pull open the waste gate at a certain time.

I happen to find that searching for stuff in Google gives me better results than the My.is search function. Try looking up 2jz-gte TTC mod there. If you weren't aware, there is also an Electric TTC mod. I haven't looked into this at all, but you may want to dive in there.

-J-

#14 ·
I remember reading in someones threads about them hitting boost spikes with stock twins, as well as installing boost controllers and running them at 15 psi or so. I've also seen that some peoples just run between 11-13psi naturally and that is how they have left it. They've seemed to be reliable at those levels and make the power and performance that those doing the swap were looking for.

#15 · (Edited)
Well lets look at it this way. Suppose I wanted to run 15 lbs. Obviously I would need a controller to make that happen. Ive been wondering if people are still routing it through all the vsv solenoids or like what picture i saw where they just ran the 2nd line from the solenoid directly to the manifold for vac.

i feel like im overlooking something big time. i cant seem to comprehend how the wastegate on the first turbo controls spool for both turbos. everything ive read says it basically allows exhaust to reach the 2nd turbo to spool. BUT you can plainly look at the manifolds and see the 4,5, and 6th exhaust power flow directly into the 2nd turbo...

#29 ·
i feel like im overlooking something big time. i cant seem to comprehend how the wastegate on the first turbo controls spool for both turbos. everything ive read says it basically allows exhaust to reach the 2nd turbo to spool. BUT you can plainly look at the manifolds and see the 4,5, and 6th exhaust power flow directly into the 2nd turbo...
IIRC - The manifold has a bridge that connects both banks. Allowing the exhaust energy from 4,5,6 to be routed to the front turbo, and through its wastegate. You'll notice that it's not the natural path for the exhaust energy to flow, which is why it takes some backpressure to cause that flow to go through the front wastegate. JDM turbo's are much more likely to overboost than the USDM twins without backpressure.

And got rid of all the stock VSVs.

My car's still running great as a daily driver at 16 psi of boost. And still brings a smile to my face everday. :)

#16 ·
On the vsv's etc, I am not completely sure of. I put in the manual directly out of peoples builds what they posted and did when then kept their twins. Yes obviously you would need a controller of some sort to increase the boost pressure..

#18 ·
Glad to be of help! I am waiting for a member to get done with a manual pedal install into an auto car and i will possibly add that to the manual as well..

#19 ·
Reactions: indirocz28
#20 · (Edited)
Tecknix- Thanks a lot +rep to you man. I originally tried converting it to PDF, but my internet in Iraq is so unbelievably shitty.. Adding the PDF link to the OP.

#22 ·
- I was curious if one of the mods could sticky this so it doesn't get lost in the masses-

If not- well then I guess I'm just a dick for asking and trying to help...

#25 ·
For twins in full TTC mode all you need to do is follow the guide to wiring the gates to "open" position.

Slap a boost controller on the first wastegate off the front turbo and bam, moar boost.

Mine ran about 9psi with the gates wired open. I ran 17psi all day with an AVCR

#26 · (Edited)
BTW kick ass manual. This is definately something that should be stickied!

I like that you used pics/info from all the swap threads. I feel important now! lol

I want to recognise goldaltezza, japsfinest and teckis300 for leading the pack. I think myself, wingzero and a few others followed right after them. Now theres quite a few swaps. Glad to see people are recognising the potential!

#27 ·
BBPSI- Thanks man, I hope that it gets stickied. I don't know who I can try to talk to but you have a bit more time on the board so maybe you have a little more pull than myself lol..

I didn't even know you posted in here. Never got the notification e-mail..

Hope it is still working good for you all!

#30 ·
OptimusIS- You simply use your stock IS300 wiring harness. If swapping in an Aristo you will not use all the connections on the engine, but will use all the connections on the wiring harness. The only things that MAY need to be modified would be the IS300 fuel injector plugs on the wiring harness to put in different injectors.

Also if you do the R154 Conversion and need a speed sensor Marlin Crawler makes a piece that screws onto the stock R154 mechanical sensor on the trans converts the signal to electric and plugs into the stock wiring harness!

Jeff

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.