Lexus IS Forum banner

Can I change oil filter without draining oil?

4K views 15 replies 13 participants last post by  Mr Wong 
#1 ·
I've tried to change oil / oil filter yesterday for the first time.
Drained oil, wrestled with installed stock Toyota filter for 1 hour and gave up.
So I put new oil with and I'm driving with old filter today.
I'm getting proper oil filter cap wrench from NAPA today and will try to replace filter again.
Question is, do I need to drain oil again? Filter seems to be high on engine.
Can it be removed without draining oil? I have no idea where that oil level is.

#2 ·
Yes you can remove the filter with out draining the oil. You can remove it from the top of the vehicle.

Remove your tranny dipstick (auto only) and guide the filter out. This will be doable depending on how worn your engine mounts are. If you dont have enough room, get someone to get a pry bar to pry the engine a lil bit so you can get the filter out.

#3 ·
Ive never had to pry or move anything to get filter out ...its snug bit it will come out ...
remember when you put new oil filter on put a little oil on the gasket and dont over tighten the oil filter on....

#5 ·
I usually go from the bottom. I used to chart a complicated course of forwards, reverses, twists and inversions to get out through the top, but life is too short.

#9 ·
It comes out eAsy top or bottom. If you ate messy or filter is too hot. Use a gall size ziploc. After unscrew filter let it drop in bag and seal it. Then you won't make a mess maneuvering it out.

And you can easily puncture a new filter putting it on. I highly frown upon using a wrench to put new filter on. Screw on by hand, make contact, and give it one turn. The pressure will pull the seal tight.

#12 ·
It comes out eAsy top or bottom. If you ate messy or filter is too hot. Use a gall size ziploc. After unscrew filter let it drop in bag and seal it. Then you won't make a mess maneuvering it out.
Yeah, I use a plastic bag myself - no mess, easy to do.

#10 ·
I recently acquired an IS300, the old filter was a little smaller than the new one. It was quite easy to maneuver the old filter out from the engine bay. The new Mobil 1 filter took a little twisting to get it under the intake manifold.

#11 ·
I've used mobil1 filters, fram, purolator, wix, Toyota oem, Toyota japan oem filters. They are all easily accessible from top or bottom. Both manual and auto is300s. I can speak from hands on experience.

I find bottom easier and less messy and least chance of burning your forearm on a hot intake manifold or hot filter.

#13 ·
Thank you everybody for replies.
I replaced the filter. And I did not drain the oil again, which is nice.
I went from top. It did not take long. With "cup type oil filter wrench" it did not take long to take it out. No Pry-bar or engine dis-assembly required.

I've tried to use plastic bag, but it is almost impossible to hold the bag and turn the filter simultaneously. I could use only one hand there. So there was some "oil spill".
Next time I;ll try to go from bottom. Should be easier.

MrGregski, are you going from the top or bottom? I'd like to learn how to avoid spilling oil.

#14 ·
i feel like an idiot to have never tried the ziplock trick. ive been a tech for 8 yrs now and i normally just remove all the undertrays and liners a clean up the mess afterwards. might try this trick this week. i wouldnt think twice about just topping off the oil if you only switch out the filter. thanks

#15 ·
Had the same problem the first time but i just muscled it out. And i always go from the top. But never had this problem again i have a theory . When installing it always put oil on the seal and hand tighten it when its tight just turn it a little to the left just a tab so the seal is position like its coming off so next time you change it its easy coming off. Ever since never had a problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.