Lexus IS Forum banner

My Horn Stopped Working....

5K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  Chigger 
#1 ·
Any suggestions on why??

i was picking up a friend and i was gonna do the 2 horn warning, to let him know i was there.
It honked once but then the 2nd one didn't go off.....now whenever i press it, it doesn't honk :(
I now carry my Airhorn in the car, lol

#3 ·
Probably not the fuses, but check anyways first.

I'm on my 4th set of horns. When you actually remove them you will find water and debris inside one of the horns or both.

My guess is they crapped out.

With my horns I used to park in an under ground parking and used them every day (going around corners). So I wore them out fairly quickly.

Just remember when you have to put in new ones, the dealer wants big numbers, I have used the cheap hi/ lows from Canadian tire. They virtually sound the same at a considerable less cost than the dealer.

Digger08

#4 ·
I did the horn mod and the horns worked fine.

When I went to reattach them mine stopped working. Disconnected them and cleaned em out and they started to work again. Kind of wack if u ask me.

Play around wit it and the connections.

#5 ·
RedlineGT, Digger, any suggestions?

its not the fuses, power is getting to the connector.....did a quick light probe test.

can you take them apart to clean them?

Canadian tire sells aftermarket ones? are they plug and play?

#6 ·
Peter at next mod had hella horns instock last I check. Our stock horn does sound pretty whimpy. Can't have the Batmobile sounding off "meowwww's", right?

#7 ·
I just used the every day Fiamm horns from CTC (Hi & Low)

You will probably have to fiddle with the wires a little bit...but more or less just plug and play.

These have been working for me for many years now, and I forget what I did 5 years ago when I last changed them.

Digger08

#8 ·
So the OE horns are a solid 100% more expensive then the Canadian tire horns. So I went to CT to see what they had.

FIAMM seems to be the horn supplier for CT and they had 3 grades:
1) Horn - low and high sold separately, $21 each
2) Highway horn (5 dB louder) - low and high sold separately, $29 each
3) El Grande, $37 for the pair of high and low

So I went the cheapo route and got the El Grande.

They install w/ ease and are loud. Does the job, but I can see how flimsy they are and will likely not last as long as OE. But lets see. The OE ones lasted 9 years and 208,000km.

Note: I did not face the red side out. They are black and hidden just like OE.

#9 ·
Those are cheap. I must have gone the middle of the road, because mine are very close looking to OEM and sound exactly the same.

Beep Beep!

Digger08

#10 ·
ya. these seemed cheap, but its only the red cover that seems ghetto. The other side looks like an OE horn (the side the faces out).

These sound like OE .....I would even say louder.

#14 ·
ya. when the supercharger was installed, the FMIC relocated the low-side horn.... also, when the horn was being removed, the metal of the rad support completely gave and tore off.

So I've relocated the horns to mount off the centre hood-latch bolts. So they're more central now.

Used the horns a few times coming in this morning!

#16 ·
Mine still doesn't work. Its not the fuse and I know the horn works because if I set off the alarm, I can hear the horn but when i press the steering wheel...doesn't work. Where can I take it?

#17 ·
the alarm sounds do not come from the horn assemblies.

So it might still be the horns themselves. They are a common part that fails.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.