Lexus IS Forum banner

VDIM Disabilization

27K views 21 replies 11 participants last post by  Knightshade 
#1 ·
Hey I found this on a website. Never heard of it before:
Some people may already know this, so it may be useless to them...

IS350/IS250 VDIM Cheat Code

The vehicle dynamics integrated management (VDIM) system automatically prevents excess wheel spin and fishtailing. If you deactivate the system by pushing the dash button, the system automatically comes back on after exceeding 30 mph. The overly protective Toyota designers probably did this to reduce our insuance rates, but it's just no fun. If Toyota wants to really compete with BMW, then it needs to allow drivers to make more decisions and assume the risks of driving.

If you wish to temporarily disable the VDIM completely, Toyota programmed a work-around. This "cheat code" will disable the VDIM until the car is truned off.

1. Start the car with the parking brake on.

2. Keeping the parking brake on, push (or tap) the foot brake twice

3. Keeping the foot brake down, push (or tap) the parking brake twice

4. Repeat untill the sliding car warning light appears on the dash

Normally, only two cycles (foot - parking - foot - parking) are required. With practice, you can disable the VDIM in under 4 seconds.

IS350 IS250 VDIM Cheat Code - Disable traction control - burnout, peelout, donut, smoke tires

See less See more
#4 ·
The best shifts (from a dead stop, at wide-open-throttle) will be if you leave the car in D, and leave the ECT button in normal mode.

The paddles and the stick don't actually shift the car, they only select the highest gear the car is allowed to use. The transmission always shifts automatically on its own based on what the computer tells it to do, even if the paddles can fool you into thinking you're doing something about it.

If you'd like proof there's no direct shifting go ahead and start from a dead stop in S mode with 4 on the dash. Now switch the multi-display to showing you the -actual- gear you're in... it'll be 1. It'll shift on its own through 2, 3, and 4 as the ECU dictates, only stopping at 4 because that's the highest-allowed-gear you selected.

For that matter, start the same way, with S-4, and displaying real gear in use... now very slowly push the gas... at 10 mph, hit the downshift on the stick or paddle... the S indicator will switch to 3, but the car won't shift at all, because at 10 mph you weren't in 4th anyway, you were likely in 1 or 2, which is below the max allowed gear of 3 anyway.

#9 ·
Sorry to go off topic, but what im getting from many posts is that just driving the car in D, and turning the traction control off, is the fastest way to go. From peoples experience, what is the most ideal launch RPM? does holding the brake and gas compromise my driveline or transmission? I read in the car manual, to not hold the brake and gas at the same time?

#17 ·
Yeah... but they caved into public complaints afterwards... so on later models you don't have to do the "pedal dance".

#21 ·
Has anyone found a way to get the trac control to be easier to turn off on the 2006 model? I don't like the pedal dance and when I want to turn it off I don't want to stop the car and do the dance. If I don't find a way I may go trade for an '07 model.

thanks,
Phil

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.